Saturday, July 02, 2005
The Seattle Times: "This spot was home to the Suquamish people for at least 1,700 years. By about 1790, the cedar-plank longhouse called Old Man House was built here. It was as wide as 60 feet, and as it was added to over the years, it stretched for as long as 600 feet down the beach of Agate Passage. The site was dug out with clamshells and the house posts raised with help from neighboring tribes. Families, each with their own fire, lived and gathered here, including Chief Seattle, for whom Seattle is named, who was born to a Suquamish father and Duwamish mother. The tribe's principal village, called D'Suq'Wub ('clear salt water'), was here, with as many as 1,000 people living under one roof at Old Man House."